Thursday, November 3, 2011

The First Snow Storm of the Season

Thursday, November 3:  The storm arrived early in the morning with winds that whistled down our stove vent.  The wind howled around the corners of the house and made the walls rattle.  In the streetlight I could see the snow...blowing completely sideways.  The winds reached a speed of 33 mph with gusts over 40.  The snow continued to fall and blow away all day.  Now there are areas on the ground that the wind has blown clear.  The wind blew the snow away revealing ice and frozen gravel or dirt.  This snow blew into drifts, piling up around stairways, doorways, and walls of houses.  In places where only a few inches of snow accumulated during the last two week, the wind has blown ten inches of snow.  Footprints made in the drifts are erased in an hour or two.  Windchill is a factor that must be taken seriously now.  Today the temperature didn't fall below 24 degrees; however the windchill brought the temperature to 0 degrees.  In the next few days the low temperature (with windchill) will fall to -17 degrees.  With this in mind, I wore my parka tonight when I joined my mentor, Morgan, and Sara and Katie (two teachers) for dinner this evening.  I didn't wear my fleece or my down coat.  My parka kept the wind away and kept me warm.

Before the storm arrived I was taking walks after school to the post office and the beach, just to enjoy the brisk weather.  Here are a few of the pictures I took of the new winter sights around St. Michael.
North Beach:  These rock have a good, thick layer of ice on them from the tide coming in and out.  

North Beach:  The sun stays about that high during the day.  It does a low arch in the south.  

That is NOT dry, cracked ground you would see in the desert.  That is ice on the ocean off of North Beach.  It is amazing to think that water that moves as constantly as the ocean could freeze enough for people to drive on.  Not yet of course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment