Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Program

At Anthony A. Andrews School (the big school) in St. Michael, the students and teachers put on a Christmas program for the community.  Each class comes up with something to do--either a song, skit, dance, etc.  My class made an acrostic poem using "MERRY CHRISTMAS" and as a class came up with a word for each letter.  When we stood up in front of the community to present our poem, we began with "S" and moved down the line to "M".  Then Flora and I said our line "Now if you read our letters from left to right, you'll find a Christmas greeting for everyone tonight."  Then we all sang "Jingle Bells".
My class of four (and and now some five) year olds has 20 students (we got a new student at the beginning of the month.  If you count the letters in Merry Christmas you will notice there are only 14 letters.  This didn't bother me, because I know there is a very good chance that certain students will not be at the program.  I was right.  We had 13 out of 20 students show up for the program.  Cecelia, our teacher aide, got to be one of the letters with the kids.
After we were done preforming, the students went to sit with their parents and I got to sit back and enjoy the rest of the show.
Waiting "backstage".  From the left: Regina, Dorris, Cecelia, Chris, Kyra, Leandra

From the left: Lennie, Zach, Staci, Paul, Kobe, Daiza, Tennille, Carter, Regina

Me and 13 of my 20 students waiting "backstage" while the 3 year olds performed.  They did a mini-musical based on the book the Littlest Christmas Tree.  I wish we had been able to see it.  

Performing.  On the far right, Lennie begins the presentation with "S is for Snowball".

Daiza saying, "I is for Icicle"

Flora leading us in "Jingle Bells" to finish up our program.

Leandra, Staci, and Regina made Christmas cards with me on Thursday.  

Our finished cards: mine, Leandra's, Regina's, and Staci's
I am so proud of my students.  They did a great job.  They came up to me after the program saying, "Teacher, I wasn't scared!"  They had a lot of fun.  Here is the poem we wrote:
S is for Snowballs
A is for Apple Pie
M is for Music
T is for Tree
S is for Ski Pants
I is for Icicles
R is for Ribbons
H is for Hats
C is for Candles
Y is for Yams
R is for Racecars
R is for Reindeer
E is for Eskimo
M is for Muffins

We performed it from right to left so the audience saw the letters in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment