Saturday, December 31, 2011

Merry Christmas

This was the first Christmas that I have spent away from home and my family.  It was different.  It didn't feel like Christmas.  We hadn't up up decorations, we didn't have a tree, and it was very quiet.  Nathan and I called my parents over Skype  and we were able to see and talk to my family for the first time since August.  We saw my parents, Dale and Janis; my sister, Michelle, and her husband, Michael; my Aunt Karyn and Uncle Doug, my Grandma Kaye, and Hal, our close family friend.  They had opened their gifts from us already.  We opened the gifts from them over Skype.  Seeing them and feeling like we were together made it feel like Christmas finally.  
Merry Christmas everyone, we miss you!

That night we went to church and got to see our friends from the village.  Even though our church is small the people are very friendly and welcoming.  At the end of the service, everyone goes around the room and shakes hands and say hi or Merry Christmas.  That was hard for me at first, but I am beginning to do the moving part of this and initiate some of the exchanges.  It makes the community more connected with people showing their support.  

The Week After Christmas
The temperature has remained between 15 below and 21 below this whole week.  The floor is noticeably colder.  (Thank you Gram for the slippers!   They are wonderful!)  Frost is settling over everything and the air is very crisp.  Our groceries have been arriving this week (we have received 10 so far).  Katie has loaned us her honda for the break and we are taking advantage of it.  It makes bringing four 50+ pound packages back from the post office at one time manageable.  Thanks, Katie!  Our pantry is looking well stocked.  I have spent the last few afternoons organizing it as I put away our groceries.  (Our checked bags and coolers made it to our house the day after we got home.  They were on the next plane.)
Between tomorrow and Monday the other teachers will return to the village.  School begins again on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Megan, I'm thankful you were able to Skype with your famiy; that was important for all of you to be able to do. I remember being away from family our 1st few Christmases and it's tough. The upside is you start your own traditions and get to choose how you celebrate. :) Your temps make it sound rather tropical here! :)

    ReplyDelete