Sunday, August 14, 2011

Around St. Michael

My collection of shells and rocks from the beach in Unalakleet.  Can you find the tiny starfish?
The weekend is coming to a close.  Fortunately the weather was nice for us and we were able to get out of the house.  On Saturday I browsed around on the Internet looking at rain gear and winter gear.  The teachers at the training in Unalakleet were really helpful and gave their opinions on different stores and brands.  I took notes and spent Saturday researching the different sites and trying to plan where to get the things I need.  Ellen and I also went through some hypothetical budgeting and in the process got a good idea of the paychecks that I will be getting each month.

That evening Jodi (neighbor) came over and invited us to there apartment for a movie night.  We went over with our dinner and met several other teachers: Bonnie (Jodi's roommate), Julie, Jessica, Jill, and Pam.  We watch Lincoln Lawyer.  I really enjoyed it.  After the movie, Ellen and I came back to our apartment, did dishes, and decided to watch another movie.  (We are on Alaska time which means we stay up till the sun goes down--after midnight--and sleep late.)  We watched Nothing But The Truth.  Then we went to bed.

Grader:  The largest vehicle in St. Michael was out today evening out the gravel on the roads in preparation for the school year.

This bird decided to rest on my Internet dish.

Barge waiting off St. Michael Bay.
 On Sunday we met with Jodi and Katie (another teacher) and went for a walk on North Beach.  While we were walking Katie told us about the rich history surrounding St. Michael.  I plan to research more before I post anything specifically.  I want to get it right.  On the beach we gathered beach glass, which is abundant.  We found a lot of light blue, light green, white, and brown beach glass.  Dark blue glass and red glass are rare.  While we were walking the sun broke through the clouds and the air warmed up quickly.  The temperature probably reached 55 degrees.  It was enough that I took my coat off.

North Beach faces east out into the Norton Sound.  We are looking out toward the Bering Sea and Russia (although we can't see Russia from St. Michael).  This is the area where a pod of beluga whales was seen two weeks ago.  I intend to do more beach walking both on this beach and the beach off of St. Michael bay next to my house.
Ellen and I on our walk with Jodi and Katie on North Beach.

Looking down North Beach toward St. Michael.

Beach glass and pottery shards found on North Beach.

More beach glass.
Romeo and Juliet have made themselves at home.  They did great traveling for five days, but they are glad to be home.  They have more space to run around so hopefully Romeo will drop a pound or so.  16 lbs is a lot of cat.  Especially on the small planes where we pay by the pound for our baggage.

Romeo at home in the hallway outside the bedrooms.

Juliet on the leg rest of the recliner.
Tomorrow is the first day of on site teacher training.  I have a staff meeting at 8:30am at the big school.  We have training until Saturday.  Then I get to have another adventure.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the beach glass, its beautiful - be sure to save up some for me over the years...it would look beautiful with partylite!

    Also I think one of your pottery shards is blue willow...that antique pottery I collect, lovely find!

    ReplyDelete