Monday, August 15, 2011

The House and The Sun

I finally got around to taking pictures of the finished product:  Our house rearranged, unpacked, and organized.

Our entry hall and dining room.
Our living room.


Our kitchen.

Nathan's office/guest room/ mother-in-law suite.
The master bedroom.

The bathroom.
Our first storage room.  To the right when you enter the door are the laundry machines and a utility sink.  There are cupboards above the washer and dryer. 

On the wall opposite the washer and dryer is our bulk foods pantry.  This is where we store Costco-size cases of food.  We also have two shelves of laundry necessities.

If you continue through the laundry room you enter the back room.  To the left as you enter this room is the large freezer (which we haven't even plugged in yet), the boiler (the rectangular metal box), the hot water tank (which only works if the boiler is working), and some storage shelves.
To your right in the back room are more storage shelves that are holding empty PartyLite candle boxes.  We also decided to store our good boxes back here since we have so much storage.  This room is also where we put bread dough to rise before we bake it.  With the boiler in here and all the pipes this room is usually 90 degrees.  This is normal.
 Today was the first teacher workday.  We met at the big school (Anthony A. Andrews School-K-12) for a 8:30am staff meeting.  Then we had breakfast together.  After breakfast the teachers who had trainings to attend went to trainings and the rest of us worked in classrooms.  I met with Jessie (the Special Ed teacher) and will meet with Jill (kindergarten) in the next few days to go over curriculum.  Around 10am, the maintenance staff helped me move boxes from the big school to the Kawerak (Head Start) building.  I had eight boxes of new curriculum and maybe six boxes of orders to inventory.

When I arrived at the Head Start building (right outside the back door to my house) I met Alma and Luanne, the teachers for the 3-year-olds.  They were busy moving in all their boxes from the old Head Start building.  I spent the morning checking my boxes and then went home for lunch.  When I came back I help bring in boxes from the truck and put them in their designated areas.  We finished unloading the truck around 3pm.  We began unpacking and putting away.  I went home at 4:15pm.  It was a good first day!
Today was/is beautiful!  This morning it was very foggy when I walked the quarter of a mile to the big school.  As the day progressed the fog burned off and the sun came out in full force.  It might have reached almost 60 degrees.  
To celebrate this beautiful day, Ellen and I went for a walk on the beach after dinner.  We walked on the beach that borders St. Michael Bay.  There was a lot of pottery shards on this beach compared to North Beach.  North Beach had more colored beach glass.  I found a shard that was made it Prussia!  There were also pieces of china and some homemade pots.  We had fun exploring and digging and came home with a lot of pieces of pottery and beach glass.  The sun was so warm I wore a T-Shirt outside.  I think I'm beginning to acclimate.  

1 comment: